Thursday, February 14, 2008

Happy V Day!

In accordance with my recent crafty streak, the boys and I have been busy this week. We needed to make Valentines for both the boys (Owen to take to school and Riley to take to playgroup). Oh, and you don't have to tell me, I know I'm an amazing photographer! Right???

We made butterflies for Riley to take. I thought these were so cute and I tried and tried to convince Owen to make these for his friends, but he refused. He wanted to make something with lollipops in it. Plus Riley's playgroup is all kids age 2 and under and I figured the babies wouldn't really have any use for candy. But bubbles...everyone loves bubbles, right? Even babies. So we used these little tubes of bubbles for the body. Both boys helped color them and then Owen glued the little hearts on for decorations. I did have to sign Riley's name though. He's not quite ready for that yet!


And Owen made mice and put chocolate lollipops (because that's all I could find since I was rushing to get out of the store before Riley fell asleep...I didn't make it, but anyway...) in them. The lollipops don't actually serve a purpose of any kind. There was another mouse he could have made where the stick of the pop was the tail, but he liked these better, so we did these. Owen colored the nose, glued on the eyes, put the pipe cleaners on, and inserted the lollipops. I punched the holes and put the to and from on the back. My favorite is the one in the top left with the wonky eyes. I wish I could have kept that one for myself. Then when I picked Owen up from school, I saw that some of the kids had given little bags of goodies and I kind of felt bad that we'd just given these silly mice with a single candy on each one. Then I realized that if I only let Owen have one candy after lunch and one after dinner, it's still going to take him over a week to eat all the candy (unless I eat half of it first!), so then I didn't feel so bad about only putting one piece of candy on his. I think next year I'll push him to do something without candy at all...like butterflies made out of bubbles!


I love the cheap little t-shirts they have at Target to celebrate each holiday. I have one for Halloween and one for Christmas, but I haven't been able to make the trip to town to get one for Valentines, so I made my own. :-P I just bought a pale pink shirt and stamped pink hearts on it. It turned out alright and of course it actually looks better when it's on me.

My favorite project though was aprons for the boys. As I mentioned in my last post, I've been wanting to make aprons for them and finally decided to do it for V day. After going back to get the right kind of bias tape (double fold, not single), I finally finished them up. I think they turned out really well. The dish towels came in a 2 pack and only one of them was "pretty" so while I was stamping my t-shirt, I got Owen to help me stamp the dish towel. He had no idea what it was for, but I think he enjoyed doing it. The interesting thing is that I used the same paint on the apron and my shirt, but the color looks totally different on the 2 different colors.

So that's my week in review! I had one more project I wanted to get finished, but I just haven't had the time. Tomorrow night is my scrapbooking night though and I have a couple of things in mind to finish up then, so hopefully I'll have more to post this weekend!

No comments:

 
Designed by Lena Graphics by Melany