Monday, February 11, 2008

I'm not as craft-savvy as I thought.

My mom is a crafty woman. She had a ceramics studio (if you can call it that) in our basement when I was growing up and she'd teach classes and such down there. It's one of those things I didn't think too much about since it had always been that way. It was fun to go down and help her pour the molds and scrape off the little creases (I'm sure there's "right" word for that, but I don't know what it is). And of course I painted my fair share (and then some) of knick-knacks. Later she got out of the ceramics business and started doing folk art. My friends and I always painted little ornaments for Christmas every year and thought it was lots of fun.

She also taught me how to sew. My husband and even his sister make me feel like a sewing goddess when I actually find the time to complete a sewing project. My mother-in-law is an excellent seamstress (my first sewing machine was one of her hand-me-downs), but I guess her kids never really paid much attention to what she was doing.

I actually put all the craftyness I have on the back burner for many years. I don't know if I thought it was uncool. I think it was just more of lack of desire and "better" things to do with my time. But since having kids I've started getting back into it and these past few months I've gotten "the fever."

There's a tutorial for making aprons out of dish towels. I love it. It's right up my alley because most of the measuring and hemming are done. I've been wanting to make these ever since I saw the tute, but it's hard to find boyish dish towels. Then today I saw Valentine dish towels and bought some to make aprons. After getting all the boys to bed, I had about an hour to work on these and didn't get very far before realizing I had bought single fold bias tape at the store instead of double fold. What's the difference? Does it matter? Turns out it does matter and I could make the single fold into double fold without too much trouble (at least I think I can), but then it will be too narrow for the ties. So I guess I have to wait until tomorrow to return the single fold and get the double fold and then hopefully tomorrow night I will get it finished...hopefully.

No comments:

 
Designed by Lena Graphics by Melany