Thursday, February 16, 2012

Cakes We Love: Tiramisu Layer Cake

We had a dinnertime discussion this week about our favorite cakes and we all knew instantly which was our favorite.  So this is the first in a series of posts about our favorite cakes.  Riley's favorite will be last because, well, I don't think I have a picture of it which means I need to make it again so I can take a pic, right?

We're starting with my favorite.  Of the four cakes we'll be talking about this is the one that came first for our family, chronologically.  It also happens to be the most complicated of the four we'll be talking about.  'Cause I'm difficult that way...

It's a cake I originally made for my wonderful mother-in-law's birthday a couple years ago.  She was coming to see us for her birthday weekend and I knew I wanted to make a cake for her and I knew I wanted it to be special and something specific to her.  So I went to my favorite recipe site, allrecipes.com, and right there on the front page I see the featured recipe of the day and I instantly know it is THE cake.  It's a Tiramisu Layer Cake.  My mother-in-law loves tiramisu.  It was a no-brainer.  I ran my idea by the hubs and he agreed that it would be perfect for her.   And she's either a really good lier or she really liked the cake.  And let me tell you, I honestly believe she really liked it.  It's divine!!! So with no further ado, herrrrrrrrre's the cake:

SOMEWHERE I have a picture of a slice of it and it looks F-I-N-E.  Let me tell you this is one delicious cake!  The frosting is A-MAZING.  It can be expensive if you don't already have the liqueur but there are some substitutions you can do for them if you're interested.


And here's the recipe:
Tiramisu Layer Cake from allrecipes.com
CAKE:
1 (18.25 ounce) package moist white cake mix
1 teaspoon instant coffee powder
1/4 cup coffee
1 tablespoon coffee flavored liqueur
FILLING:
1 (8 ounce) container mascarpone cheese
1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
2 tablespoons coffee flavored liqueur
FROSTING:
2 cups heavy cream
1/4 cup confectioners' sugar
2 tablespoons coffee flavored liqueur
GARNISH:
2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
1 (1 ounce) square semisweet chocolate

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease and flour 3 (9 inch) pans.

Prepare the cake mix according to package directions. Divide two thirds of batter between 2 pans. Stir instant coffee into remaining batter; pour into remaining pan.

Bake in the preheated oven for 20 to 25 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean. Let cool in pan for 10 minutes, then turn out onto a wire rack and cool completely. In a measuring cup, combine brewed coffee and 1 tablespoon coffee liqueur; set aside.

To make the filling:
In a small bowl, using an electric mixer set on low speed, combine mascarpone, 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar and 2 tablespoons coffee liqueur; beat just until smooth. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate.

To make the frosting:
In a medium bowl, using an electric mixer set on medium-high speed, beat the cream, 1/4 cup confectioners' sugar and 2 tablespoons coffee liqueur until stiff. Fold 1/2 cup of cream mixture into filling mixture.

To assemble the cake:
Place one plain cake layer on a serving plate. Using a thin skewer, poke holes in cake, about 1 inch apart. Pour one third of reserved coffee mixture over cake, then spread with half of the filling mixture.
Top with coffee-flavored cake layer; poke holes in cake. Pour another third of the coffee mixture over the second layer and spread with the remaining filling.
Top with remaining cake layer; poke holes in cake. Pour remaining coffee mixture on top.
Spread sides and top of cake with frosting.
Place cocoa in a sieve and lightly dust top of cake. Garnish with chocolate curls. Refrigerate at least 30 minutes before serving. To make the chocolate curls, use a vegetable peeler and run it down the edge of the chocolate bar.

No comments:

 
Designed by Lena Graphics by Melany