Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Valentine's 2012

It's been a busy week but luckily I have felt so much better than the three weeks preceding this.  I had a lot of catching up to do on the things I let slide while I wasn't feeling well. 

First, I had to help Riley decorate a box to take to school for Valentine's Day.  I had found quite a few good ideas on pinterest and showed them all to Riley.  On Thursday he came home saying he wanted his box to look like a mailbox and he wanted to color "that ninjago" to put on it.  "That ninjago" is just a Lego Ninjago coloring sheet and I thought, "Yes, something easy and straight forward!"  But when I go on pinterest to pull it up he saw a legoman box and quickly changed his mind.  So I pulled out some empty cardboard boxes I'd saved up and got to work.  It's really not as hard as you might think.  The most difficult part was just waiting for the paint to dry.  I let Riley pick out all the colors himself and at one point he said he did want to put a heart on it ("a heart that's been shot with an arrow") but then he changed his mind so it ended up being an all black legoman.  Very Valentine-y, don't you think?  But that boys knows what he wants and he wanted it this way!

The boys each picked out what they want to be on their Valentines.  Owen had already declared he wanted to make the same treats for his friends that we made last year and I knew that would be easy enough. 
 

Riley picked a ninja theme for his.  I found several different ninjas for him to pick from and definitely had my favorite that I REALLY wanted him to pick, but I was afraid it was too girlie for him since it had pink on it.  But lucky for me, he picked that one!!!  Then I searched online and came up with at least a half dozen different saying he could pick from to go on it.  One of them said, "I'll fight 3 ninjas for you."  And he liked that best.  Oh, except he thought what I'd said was, "I'll fight through ninjas for you."  So I had to go back and change the wording on the valentines.  That's the good part of making your own.  You can make them say whatever you want them to!!!  And Owen is obsessed with Angry Birds, so I found some great Angry Bird options for him.  And he also picked the one I secretly hoped he would.  For some reason the photo of Owen's Valentines is a little blurry and washed out.   It has a pig from Angry Birds about to roll off the ledge and says, "Falling for you."  Isn't that clever?  I didn't come up with it myself.  Just found it online and hoped Owen would like it!  The valentine is actually a lot brighter and crisper in person, but you get the idea.

 And last, but not least, Riley was assigned to bring snack on Valentine's Day.  I really don't know why this was because all the kids sent in toppings for today for ice cream sundaes they are going to be making.  I didn't want to send something too sweet and sugary since I knew they were doing the sundaes but since it IS Valentine's Day I didn't want to just send in pretzels (plus Riley would never stand for that!).  AND I did have a recipe for granola bars I saw on pinterest that I'd been dying to try (and had already bought all the ingredients for!), so that's what I did.  And they are sooooooo yummy.  Peanut butter-y, honey-ey ;-), and cinnamon-y.  I will definitely make these again.  I did add some cherry flavored M&Ms to the top but they didn't stick very well.  Maybe I should have mixed them in with the other ingredients.  Or put them in the bottom.  I think the kids will love them anyway!  Recipe can be found here: Homemade Granola Bars


2 comments:

Denise said...

More pics and instructions of how you made the lego box would be appreciated! :-)

Evonne said...

I don't think I have more pics but I'll try to remember how we made this. For the head, I think it was one of those small Coke cans.

The arms are paper towel rolls. I cut a V shaped wedge from the side of each one in the middle so that it would bend like an elbow.

The body was a Wheat Thins box or something. I cut it all the way down the sides at all 4 corners. Then trimmed the front and back panels to make them narrower at the top than at the bottom, then bent the two side pieces in and taped it together.

Not sure how I did the legs. I think another Wheat Thins type box but I'm not sure how I made the "toe" part.

For the hands, I used the little plastic kids cups from eating out. I just cut them to the right shape since they already had the curved shape. And for the studs on the box the lego man is standing on, I also used plastic kids cups from eating out. I just cut them shorter so they looked more like the right height.

I'm not sure how helpful that is but it's the best I can remember. I seriously just looked around my kitchen until I found things that seemed like they would work well.

 
Designed by Lena Graphics by Melany